Explore Porosity in this 5-minute Experiment
Hosted by: Austin Women in Oil and Gas
Visit our Booth: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
If you think oil sits in big caverns underground......think again! Explore porosity in this 5-minute experiment.
Recommended Grades: K, 1st, 2nd
- Container (glass, cup, bowl, etc)
- Small rocks to fill container (or pebbles, sand, marbles, etc)
- Fill your container with the rocks all the way to the top. Make sure it's full!
QUESTIONS & OBSERVATIONS:
- Is the container full? Can you fit any more rocks?
- Press on the rocks. Is it firm? Can you press them down more, or are they solid and strong?
- Place the container in a sink or basin, or go outside for this next step!
- Pour water on to the container of rocks and observe what happens!
QUESTIONS & OBSERVATIONS:
- What do you think would happen if you had smaller rocks? What about sand? What about clay? (feel free to try different sizes!)
- Where is the water going?
- How much water will fit in the container?
- If the container is full, will water go into the container or instantly spill out?
How did water fit into the container if it was full? Well, it fit because of the air between the rocks! That space between the rocks is known as porosity. Sometimes the space between the rocks is big and easy to see (like with marbles!) and sometimes it's small and hard to see (like with sand!).
Deep underground are rocks with grains of sand and clay that have space between the grains. Most of the time water is in this space (the porosity!), but sometimes it gets filled with oil and gas instead of water. These are oil & gas reservoirs! How well the oil and gas can flow between the spaces is called permeability.
The oil & gas industry (or, petroleum industry) is where geology and engineering meet to help solve the world's energy needs. Every day, women play a HUGE role in the oil & gas industry here in Austin performing work in engineering, geology, land, legal, accounting, finance, and more! Austin Women in Oil & Gas is an organization dedicated to connecting, supporting, and educating women to promote a welcoming and diverse workforce. You too can be a part of the next generation of problem-solvers for the energy needs of tomorrow!
Austin Women in Oil & Gas was established in 2015 to promote communication, education and networking opportunities among women within the energy industry. Members encompass all professions within the industry in both public and private sectors.
Our organization gathers monthly for luncheons hosting guest speakers from all aspects of the oil and gas industry. We also host sponsored happy hours at various locations across Austin to provide additional networking opportunities.