Emulsion to Propulsion
Hosted by Girl Day Innovator: Chevron
Visit our Booth: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Recommended Grades: K, 1st, 2nd
The Challenge: Grab some typical items found in your kitchen to create an example of what crude oil really looks like. Let's shake some stuff up.
- Any cooking oil (vegetable oil, olive oil, etc)
- Water (feel free to add a little food coloring if you'd like to see the effects a little clearer)
- Sealable clear jar/bottle (mason jars or water bottles work great)
- Possibly a funnel to help with pouring
- Set the jar/bottle onto a level surface
- Pour in water to the jar/bottle, maybe a third of the way up; use a funnel if preferred
- Pour in the oil to the jar/bottle, another third of the way up; use a funnel if preferred
- Tightly seal jar/bottle
- Take a look at how the oil and water do not mix and stay separated
- Shake the jar/bottle for a few seconds and the water and oil will begin to mix forming an emulsion
- Set jar/bottle down on a level surface and over time, the oil and water will begin to separate again
- If acceptable, place the jar/bottle in the corner of the kitchen and watch the oil and water separate over time
Take a video of your emulsion shaken up and then separated and add to Flipgrid.
Cleaning up for this experiment is easy. The mixture is fine to pour down the sink and the jar/bottle can be washed like normal.
How does this activity connect to STEM and today's Girl Day them of Exploring Earth and Energy: Crude oil is an unusable product. This oil must be processed and refined through several steps to get to products we typically can think of: gasoline, diesel, plastics. We'll demonstrate one of the issues with crude oil in this experiment - it is mixed together with water to form an emulsion.
powering human progress takes energy
It’s only human to want a better life, and we need reliable, affordable and ever-cleaner energy to get there. To provide this energy, we believe in the power of human ingenuity to lead us to a brighter future.
we define energy in human terms
Access to energy helps improve lives by driving human progress and enabling the benefits of modern society. That’s why we’re constantly working to provide reliable, affordable and ever-cleaner energy for the millions around the world that rely on us.
we believe humanity can solve any challenge
Our greatest resource is our people. Their ingenuity, creativity and collaboration have met the complex challenges of energy’s past. Together, we’ll take on the future.
we deliver results responsibly
We’re leaders in energy because we value responsibility, trust and integrity. This unwavering dedication to quality drives our company culture and will keep us ahead for years to come.
For more information about Chevron, please visit our website at Chevron Corporation - Human Energy — Chevron.com.