Become a Planet Hero
Hosted by: EarthX
Visit our Booth: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Recommended Grades: 6th, 7th, 8th
The Challenge: Review information on an environmental topic you are interested in and create a way to bring awareness of the problem to others or implement a solution. (Background information is provided in the Activity Resources Tab, but you may wish to conduct additional reading on your own.)
To spread awareness of the environmental problem you chose, you may wish to create:
- a short film that describes the environmental problem and perhaps even share a possible solution;
- a piece of art, either 2-D or 3-D that educates, engages, and inspires;
- a poster, podcast, blog, or other means to communicate your message; or
- other ideas you may have.
To create a possible solution to your issue, you may wish to:
- plan a new program in your community/school;
- join an existing project that is working on the problem;
- work with governmental agencies/lawmakers to bring about change; and
- other ideas you may have.
Showcase your solution by creating a project using words, art, or film.
To share your vision and inspire others, you can upload your finished work to Flipgrid.
How does this activity connect to STEM and today's Girl Day theme of Exploring Earth and Energy? Scientists continue to study the way ecosystems work and create stability for the life forms that live within them. Change, whether natural or manmade, can disrupt them and have a ripple effect throughout the planet. The increase in CO2, water quality changes, as well as air quality changes, have all created negative impacts on the environment. Examples of a few careers that work on providing solutions are:
- engineers who develop alternative, renewable energy sources;
- marine biologists who implement ways to assist coral reef restoration; and
- land conservation managers who implement land usage policies to alleviate pressure on watersheds.
Of course, every inhabitant of the planet can provide assistance to the earth through the adoption of earth-friendly habits.
In order to solve a problem, you must first understand it.
Here are infographics on some environmental topics. Feel free to delve more deeply into these issues or research different topics.
Climate Change (Ingenium) Scroll down to see several inforgraphics.
Water Conservation (Rainbird)
Biodiversity (The World Bank)
In order to solve a problem, you must build either awareness or take action. Here are some ways young people like you have made a difference! These are just a few examples of how you can have an impact-What will you do?
Paper for Water - See a solution two sisters developed to address bringing clean water to people worldwide.
EarthX is a not-for-profit environmental organization with a mission to educate and inspire earthlings to become good stewards of the planet. A major focus of this mission is to educate youth about the environment and to promote their involvement in creating awareness and action to protect it. Check out our many EarthxEDU opportunities here. Don't miss our new EarthxTV shows geared towards this age group as well: Story Time Planet! (suggested ages 4-8) and Planet911 Youth Reports (suggested ages 12+). Shows can also be seen on demand here.