Create a Rubber Band Harmonica
Hosted by: UT Austin Acoustical Society of America
Visit our Booth: Saturday, February 27, 2021, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Recommended Grades: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
The Challenge: Create a rubber band harmonica
- 2 popsicle sticks
- 2 rubber bands
- 3 cut pieces of plastic straw (~3/4 inch)
- Place one rubber band lengthwise around one popsicle stick. Try to avoid any twists such that the rubber band lays flat.
- Slide one piece of straw underneath the rubber band and push towards one end. Repeat with another piece of straw and slide to the opposite end.
- Place final piece of straw on top of rubber band, unlike the other two.
- Place second popsicle stick on top of straws like a sandwich.
- As before, stretch second rubber band around entire stack lengthwise so that everything holds together.
- Applying slight pressure to the popsicle sticks, blow air through the gap between the sticks. Be sure to blow in between the straws, in the area where the rubber band is exposed.
- Experiment with squeezing the popsicle sticks together as you blow and listen to how the pitch changes!
Head to the Activity Video tab for a video with Alicia from the UT Austin Acoustical Society of America walking through the instructions and providing a demonstration.
Share your creation and video your own rubber band harmonica concert and share on Flipgrid.
Join Alicia from the UT Austin Acoustical Society of America in the video above for a tutorial on how to make a rubber band harmonica.