Explore Common Rocks and Minerals
Hosted by: UT Austin Geosciences Leadership Organization for Women
Visit our Booth: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Recommended Grades: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
Welcome! Geology is the science that deals with the earth's physical structure and substance, its history, and the processes that act on it. That means that Geologists study anything that is happening or has happened on Earth and what the Earth is made of. Today we will explore several different kinds of minerals. Minerals are made of elements and they have an ordered structure. Minerals are what makeup rocks and crystals that we find on Earth's surface.
What are Rocks?
A rock is any naturally occurring solid mass or aggregate of minerals. Here's a cool summary video all about rocks if you'd like to learn more!
Who are Geologists?
Geology is a diverse field with a lot of different opportunities. Geology has a lot of subfields. To list a few:
- paleontology - the study of past life on Earth
- geochemistry - the study of the chemical composition of Earth
- geophysics - the study of the physics of the earth
- oceanography - the study of oceans and the life in them
- sedimentology - the study of sediments (like sand or clay!) and the processes of their formation
- biogeology - the study of the interactions between Earth and the life that lives on it
- And many more!
What a geologist does depends a lot on the geologist. Some work in oil fields, some are professors, some work in government research labs, some work with makeup companies, some work with governments to keep people safe from natural disasters like volcanoes, some help clean up pollution, some work with glaciers...there's no limit to what a geologist can do!